Doha Centre for Media Freedom (DCMF) is extremely concerned about the health of Palestinian journalist, Mohammed Al-Qiq, who has been on hunger strike for more than two months and is “close to death” according to reports.
Al-Qiq, a correspondent for Saudi Arabia’s Almajd TV network, was arrested on November 21 last year at his home in Ramallah, and has been on hunger strike since November 25.
Various organisations have expressed their concerns over the journalist’s health including the European Union, who said that it was “extremely concerned” about his situation.
The Israeli security service, Shin Bet, said that Al-Qiq was arrested for “terror activity” and is being held under Israel’s administrative detention law, which allows suspects to be held for renewable six-month stretches without facing charges or a trial.
According to his lawyer, Jawad Boulus, Al-Qiq’s condition is “very dangerous. He has lost his ability to speak and 60% of his hearing.”
Boulus visited the journalist on Sunday at the Emek Medical Centre in Afula, where he is being treated.
Al-Qiq’s wife Faihaa said that doctors told her about her husband’s condition.
“What are they waiting for in order to release my husband or look into his arrest?” she asked, adding “until he suffers a brain haemorrhage or becomes a martyr.”
The Supreme Court in Israel ordered on Wednesday that the journalist was to remain in jail despite his deteriorating health, and said that it would monitor his health on a daily basis.
DCMF is extremely concerned about the wellbeing of Mohammad Al-Qiq and calls on all parties involved to work together to secure his immediate release and provide medical treatment to ensure that he can undergo a complete recovery.
Source: AFP, DCMF