The family of a Palestinian-Jordanian journalist who has been missing in Syria for over three months, have appealed for any information regarding his whereabouts and wellbeing.
Bashar Fahmi Al-Kadumi, who went missing on August 20 along with his Turkish colleague, Cuneyt Unal, was working as a reporter for the US-based broadcaster Al Hurra network when he was captured.
Unal was released on Saturday, November 17, but said that he had been held in solitary confinement and was unaware of whether his colleague was still alive after being badly wounded on the day of their capture.
Beirut-based media watchdog, Skeyes released a statement on Sunday saying; “Nasser Al-Kadumi, brother of (US broadcaster) Al Hurra correspondent Bashar Fahmi Al-Kadumi...called for the assistance of everyone able to help ensure his release.”
The journalist is believed to be being held in detention by President Bashar Al-Assad’s government forces, added Skeyes.
Unal was released to Turkish opposition officials following a meeting with Al-Assad on Saturday. At a press conference organised to mark his release, he said of his colleague: “I haven’t seen him since. I don’t know if he is still alive.”
The appeal by Al-Kadumi’s family follows a similar call for assistance issued last week by the parents of the US photojournalist, Austin Tice, who has also been missing in Syria for over three months.
Doha Centre for Media Freedom has repeatedly condemned the ongoing targeting of journalists in Syria. The centre has called for information about Al-Kadumi's health and demanded his immediate release, along with all other media workers who are currently being held in detention in Syria.
Source: AFP, DCMF