Several people have been wounded by a bomb blast at the headquarters of Syrian state television in Damascus today, in the latest of a string of attacks on state-run media outlets.
The Information Minister, Omran Al-Zoabi said: “"It is clear that the blast was caused by an explosive device. Several of our colleagues were injured, but there were no serious injuries, and no dead."
The bomb hit management offices on the third floor of the building in the Omayyad district of the city, which is heavily guarded by security forces.
The channel remained on the air but an AFP correspondent reported that firefighting vehicles were parked outside the building and that one of the access roads to Omayyad Square was blocked off.
Pro-government television channel Al-Ikhbariya, which was itself the target of a deadly attack claimed by the rebel Free Syrian Army in June, broadcast footage of Zoabi inspecting the building's third floor.
Among the destruction caused by the blast, blood could be seen on some of the furniture in the building as volunteers evacuated one of the wounded men.
"Syria's television is being targeted because of its bravery," said Al-Zoabi, adding “but nothing will stop the voice of Syria."
He described the bombing as “desperate and cowardly” and said that an investigation into who had planted the bomb is already underway.
Pro-regime and state-run media under attack
There have been a number of attacks on state run media outlets in recent months, as three journalists and four security guards were killed during the June 27th raid of the Al-Ikhbariya offices, while state television’s office in Aleppo was targeted on Saturday.
State television presenter, Mohammed al-Saeed was also executed on Saturday, following his kidnapping by the Al-Nusra Front, an organisation with links to Al-Qaeda. A photograph of the presenter before his execution bore the message: “May this be a lesson to all those who support the regime.”
The Committee to Protect Journalists has called for all parties involved in the ongoing conflict to guarantee the safety and security of journalists.
Last week CPJ Deputy Director Robert Mahoney said: "Journalists covering conflict are civilians, and attacks against them and their offices constitute a serious violation of international humanitarian law. We call on all parties in Syria to respect the status of journalists and ensure their safety."